Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Wireless mics and small PA for speaker meetings

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Our local Skeptics in the Pub[1] has started putting on meetings with
speakers (the human variety) in a bar. We could do with a bit of
amplification so people at the back of the room (where there's also a
certain amount of noise intruding from the rest of the pub) can hear
properly. We could really do with a headset type of microphone (the sort
you see high-powered Merkin 'motivational speakers' using :-)) for the
speaker and a hand-held for the person doing the introductions and for
taking questions from the audience; preferably both wireless. And
speakers (audio type), obviously, and electronics to connect up.

For speakers 3 or 4 smallish ones which could be suspended from a ceiling
beam or pillar would probably be better than one or two larger floor-
standing units (or requiring large tripods).

For budget, around the £100 mark would be easily do-able; more would
require a bit of scrounging and saving but possible.

Is there a music system already there so you can save on speakers and amps?

If so you might get a useable system from maplin but ~£200 would be better
for the mics.

If you need speakers and amps you really need to look for second
hand/seconds or you need another £200+.

I think I still have an old rotel (iirc) stereo receiver (about 50W RMS
IIRC) in the attic that you can have, but its a bit heavy to post and I
haven't powered it up for 15 years.