Posted to alt.home.repair
Fake ID Fake ID is offline

Default 4 cycle trimmer recommendations

In article ,
Rick Brandt wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

The problems with my Troy-Bilt 4-cycle have little to do with the
number of strokes. Mostly driveline related. The clutch drum reamed
out. An impossible to replace compressed ring on the upper upper
driveline cames loose and now the driveline falls out the end of the shaft.
The EZ-Link receiver at the end of the upper shaft keeps loosening up.
The shaft that the pull rope rides around, which is an integral part of
red outer housing, broke (then melted). Other than that, it's a fine,
fine machine.

In contrast to my 2-cycle Stihl, the 4-cycle isn't necessarily quieter,
but the sound is a lower pitch which many people might be less irritating.
The 4-cycle has a better torque curve which helps will non-string
attachments like a cultivator. The Stihl has a nice long shaft, which
turns out to be very helpful.

To jump on the "has anyone ever tried" bandwagon,
Has anyone ever tried a propane powered trimmer?
One appeared at a local big box a few years ago. It uses those
ubiquitous disposable 16 oz cylinders.