Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default What's the function of felt underlay for shingles?

On Apr 3, 3:31*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, " wrote:

Not to mention where is he that a steel roof is that close in cost to
a standard shingle roof. *I'm at 27 years here in NJ and getting near
the end of life on my roof, but it's still OK. *And those were standard
shingles.
Presumably some of the newer heavier ones perform even better.
I've only seen steel widely used in places where heavy snow is
common.

Your replacement shingle roof will not last nearly as long as your
current roof. You can count on it.

Please list the number of assumptions you made to come up with that
assertion. I stopped counting after three.

Sinse the asbestos fiber has been
eliminated, and asphalt content reduced, even the high end "asphalt"
shingles have become extremely dissapointing in the lifespan
department. The socalled "fiberglass" shingles in particular.

Asbestos is a silicate mineral fiber, just like fiberglass. The
substitution of one for another has nothing to do with the longevity
of a shingle. The longevity is affected by other factors.

Over the years I've installed shingles that run the gamut from lowest
end three-tab to 50 year architectural, and have found that you pretty
much get what you pay for. Rated shingles are going to provide right
around the listed effective life. If they're in an extreme climate,
the lifespan will be shortened a bit, but it won't be a 50% reduction.