Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default 4 cycle trimmer recommendations

"JimT" wrote in message
net...
On 4/3/2011 3:14 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:18 +0000 (UTC), Rick

wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:
the gas mixing is not an issue, because the 4strokes still use mixed

fuel.

I have a Troy-Bilt four stroke trimmer and it has a separate oil
container (no mixing).

It is quieter and smokes less, but the difference on noise is not that
much (I still wear ear muffs when I operate it).

This is my first (and probably last) gas-trimmer so I can't make
comparisons with two-stroke models. I can only say that I despise this
unit. Heavy, loud, hard to control. I much prefered dealing with a cord
frankly.

I have a TroyBilt, with a few of the attachments, and rather like it.

I've
had two-cycle and corded trimmers before and have ended up pitching them

after
a season or two. I hated them. This thing works really well.

Has anyone tried a cordless trimmer? I have a small yard and only need a
trimmer for the front yard. I'm considering giving a cordless a try.

After letting a lawn service doing my yard for eight years, I am going to do
it myself again. I bought a Toro cordless and it worked well enough for my
small yard. Regrettably, after being discharge for a few (well 8)years, the
stinking NiCad batteries will not recharge. I am going to see if I can
replace them with NiMH cells. If I can't I'd be certain to look for a unit
with NiMH cells or LiON cells and not NiCads. My Black and Decker cordless
lawnmower took a charge after nearly 8 years and performed flawlessly.
Though I can't say for sure, I believe the B&D uses sealed 12V lead gel
cells.

So the answer is yes, they work quite well - trimming's not a heavy
horsepower activity - but you may experience battery issues as I have. If
you're interesting I'll pull the Toro specs from the nameplate. It's
sitting on the kitchen floor recharging. It spins the head slowly, so I am
going to try some discharge/recharge cycling before I gut the SOB. It only
saw two seasons of use before I switched to a lawn service. Did I tell you
I hate NiCad cells? (-: Polarity reversing, anemic, dendrite-growing crap.

Bring on the pain, NiCad lovers!

--
Bobby G.