Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default "Chicago grid" drywall ceiling questions

"RogerT" wrote in message

We basically just want to be able to see how the commercial
contractor does the Chicago grid sheetrock ceiling stuff --
including what materials to buy, what spacing is required for
proper support, etc. -- all of which I am sure is simialr to a
regular drop ceiling but is not the same.

DanG wrote:
Sorry, exact same process. The material is slightly wider, but
other than that it is identical to hanging a drop ceiling.

Well, I assume that one difference may be in the spacing of the metal
framing when hanging drywall on the frame (including 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch
drywall) and the required number and size of the support wires. I know with
a regular drop ceiling the framing can be done to allow 2'x4' or 2'x2'
openings, but maybe (for example) the Chicago grid requires 16-inch framing
for the sheetrock.