Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnabend (magnetic bend brake) principles described by its inventor

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

He
has a place mark for "Build Your Own Magnabend", which I eagerly await.

Ok... I'm lost. What more useful functions does this fairly complex and
expensive device have over a conventional clamp-bar style of brake?
Certainly, the mechanism is no simpler than a mechanical one.

That it works is not in question, but it has severe drawbacks -- like not
maintaining clamping force with thick sections, or when doing sharp
bends.

WHY would someone want a brake that cannot be counted on to do exactly
what the designer asked in the drawings?

LLoyd