Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buying parts for DIY cheepskate

On Apr 3, 10:44*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
If you want a good laugh, go down to your car dealer and price some
OEM parts..

TMT

A few months ago I was quoted over $800 to change the alternator on my truck
at the dealership. *$400 of it was the alternator. *An OEM alternator from a
parts store (not rebuilt, not remanufactured, not repaired, but new) was
$200. *The serpentine belt was $40. *I did it myself. *It was a pain
actually on that model truck, but I figure at the same labor rate they
charge I could do it for just over half now that I have done one.

LOL..that is not an isolated case.

A year ago I needed a door handle for a shop pickup (Ford F150).

Being that I had to go the dealer for a recall repair, I stopped by
the parts counter for a quote.

I was quoted $156.

Both I and the parts counter guy laughed and laughed and laughed.

He said that usually most people get mad and it was refreshing to have
a customer who would laugh at the obvious stupidity of the situation.

On the way home, I stopped by and got one from the junkyard....cost
$2.00...and a box of doughnuts ...and a thank you.

.....and a standing offer to help them fight off any urban renewal that
would cause them to go away.

TMT

TMT