Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does the 115V-24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?

On 4/3/2011 11:29 AM, Bob F wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 4/2/2011 3:46 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:

The replacement was indeed made in China. It's an Edwards model
599: http://www.edwards-signals.com/index...d=104&level=15

I dunno what this means:

"Non-regenerative thermal overload protection"

but it *could* mean that the transformer has a thermal fuse. If so,
it's an easy and dirt cheap fix.

Some small transformers have a self resetting thermal circuit breaker.
I assume the Edwards transformer has a one-shot thermal fuse
(cheaper).

I've gotten replacements at radio shack on one occasion, although their chioces
are limited.

I used to purchase the little glass capsule automatic circuit breakers
from the electronic supply house under the ECG brand name. I loved those
big old ECG and SK parts books. ^_^

TDD