Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Why does the 115V-24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?

On 4/2/2011 11:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:

I just popped the covers on both transformers. There is no evidence of a
fuse
in either one.

I just metered the old
transformer and it's the input side that's bad

The thermal fuse is *under* the tape or paper wrapping. Rip it off and
look. I'd say it's quite likely that you can fix both those transformers
for a few dollars.

Yes. Or it may just be a bit of thinner wire, that is what I used to
see. But you have to do some cutting to get to it.

I can't speak to recent generation transformers, I haven't fixed one
in 10 years, but I used to "fix" quite a few and never had subsequent
problems. When you fix audio gear the customer often is bent on trying
to destroy it again!

Jeff