Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default "Chicago grid" drywall ceiling questions

Evan wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:39 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
I have been researching information about what some people call a
"Chicago grid" drywall ceiling system. . . . . .

That system is just like a drop ceiling, the fire rated ones will
take longer to install because the grid members have to be
strung up in more locations with additional support wires
compared with non-rated ceiling applications...

500 square feet is an awfully small apartment so it shouldn't
take too much time -- in fact like any room you are doing a
ceiling system in the smaller the room the more of a pain in
the ass it is...

Since it is a small apartment, that is why I was thinking it probably
shouldn't take more than a day to do all of the metal framing and begin to
hang some of the sheetrock. But, I'm not sure about that.

The 4 room sizes are approximately:

Living Room 12x15
Bedroom 12x13
Kitchen 8x9
Bath 7x9

Are you going to use the ceiling to support standard drop-in
grid system lighting ?

No. There will be 4 ceiling fixtures (one per room) -- including ceiling
fans -- for which the electrical boxes will already be mounted on blocks.
The blocks for these electrical boxes will already be in place at almost the
correct ceiling height, but will be ready to be padded out to the exact
height as soon at the metal grid is in place for each room. My regular
contractor will be there to do this as the metal framing is going up.

Anyone who does a fair amount of commercial building
construction work doing suspended grid systems would
be fine to do this project -- you would want someone who
knows how to do the commercial ones rather than the
residential grade stuff because you want it done right the
first time . . . .

I agree.