Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default "Chicago grid" drywall ceiling questions

Get a commercial ceiling hanger. If you want to save time and if
you are able, establish level and install the perimeter wall angle
in all rooms as this is a time consumer. If you had all the
hanger wire installed it would save time, but I doubt you could
get the hanger wire where required.

I doubt that anyone will take the time to explain what they are
doing or why. Drywall grid doesn't have to be as "square" as a
finish ceiling, but basic methods will probably provide about the
same product. It is not rocket science and I would think you
could have it up and done in the time you've already spent
researching it. Maybe what you want is to pay commercial wages
for a day to one man to teach you.

It is too lengthy a process to explain in an email, but there is
plenty of information available:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...9decee79d1fe4a

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"RogerT" wrote in message
I have been researching information about what some people call a
"Chicago grid" drywall ceiling system. Apparently, they call it
a Chicago grid because the metal framing for the ceiling to which
the drywall is attached is made by Chicago Metallic Co. Other
manufacturers such as Armstrong also make similar metal "drywall
ceiling grid" systems.

For a number of reasons, I want to use this system for the
ceiling in a basement apartment that I am having completely
redone in a 3-unit apartment building that I own.

Since I have never done this type of ceiling before, I plan on
hiring a contractor who knows how to do Chicago grid ceilings to
do the rough-in of this ceiling. But, at the same time, I want
to be able to watch and see how it is done and also have my own
regular contractor watch or help with the installation so he too
can see how these are done. I found a couple of local building
supply places that sell the Chicago grid metal framing and I
will be asking them for names of local contractors who buy the
metal framing from them and who regularly do Chicago grid
ceilings. Ideally, I would like to find an experienced
contractor who will charge me by the day for the labor part of
the job, and I will pay for the materials.

The apartment that needs the new ceiling has a living room,
bedroom, kitchen, bath, and two closets -- all of which will be
getting a Chicago grid drywall ceiling. I really only need the
contractor for the metal framing part, and maybe to hang some or
all of the drywall. My regular contractor knows how to hang
drywall and can do all of the finish work -- taping, painting,
etc.

My question is, does anyone have a rough idea of about how long
it would take a contractor and a helper to do the metal framing
on a 4 room apartment such as the one I am having redone? The
total square feet of the 4 rooms is a little less than 500
square feet. I am thinking that a contractor could probably do
all of the metal framing in less than a day, and maybe do the
rough hanging of some of the sheetrock in the same day.

Does anyone know if that is about right?

For those who are unfamiliar with this ceiling system (as I
was), it is basically similar to a regular drop ceiling system
except the metal framing is stronger and the drywall gets
screwed into the metal framing from underneath and the seams
later taped and finished, rather than dropping panels in on top
of the metal framing.

And, here are some links and YouTube videos about the system:

http://www.chicagometallic.com/produ...Drywall-PG.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3m9GO3pns

http://products.construction.com/man...rid-nst32093-p

http://www.armstrong.com/commceiling...icle63637.html