Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Buying parts for DIY cheepskate

Bill Noble wrote:
when the price difference is modest, some of us elect to support local
businesses. I will also from time to time go to a local business and
show them the on-line price and say "I want to support local
businesses like you but I can't afford this price difference" -
sometimes the on line price is less than their cost, sometimes they
can help and meet me part way.

Ditto on that. One of the local small engine shops has given me very good
pricing on some items over the years. They also have given me some old
obsolete parts for free, and before I knew how to pull a mower flywheel,
they did it for me without charge.

I am more than happy to purchase parts from them now, knowing that I am
repaying my civil debt and helping them to stay in business so that they can
help out another kid who counts pennies and needs a break. Same with the
local used appliance place, who employs local guys to do the dirty work of
cleaning and rebuilding used appliances.

Sometimes it's a better deal to pay a little more for a local business.

Jon