Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Berryman's fuel additive (well, it works in metal engines)

dan wrote:

wolfgang wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:38:01 -0700 (PDT):

If you had let it go, you might have run into the problem with the old
1st gen RX-7s. When the injectors got leaky enough they would flood
the chambers from the rail pressure after running and you would lose
the seal, and get no compression for restart.
The hack was to wire a switch to the fuel pump relay and kill the
engine by cutting off the fuel pump. This left no pressure on the
fuel rail, so the injectors wouldn't leak into the chambers.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Dan,

My son did exactly that with his second gen '87 RX-7.

I always wondered why not just replace the injectors?
Any idea? Too expensive?

A can of the in tank cleaner is about $3, a can of the pro cleaner for
use with the cleaning rig I noted is about $6, the entire cleaning rig
is $100-$200. A single fuel injector runs $150-$200, multiply that times
8 for a V8 engine and the cleaning is vastly cheaper.