Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default OT - Tillers

RogerN wrote:
I've been looking into tillers for larger garden this year.

Considering a Troy built or a Cub Cadet in the $700-$800 range. Cub Cadet
(RT65) has good reviews at Home Depot website. Troy Built has counter
rotating tines, Cub Cadet has reversible tines.

Alternatively, I have a couple of small tractors, a Ford 8N and a 26HP
Kubota, the tillers for them are ~$1300 but a disk would be in my price
range.

Any recommendations?

If you're using the tiller for bed prep and NOT for weed control the
choice is a large tractor mounted unit. The one I use will do a better
prep than ANY other method. Leaves you with a nice planting area.

BUT if you plan on using it for weed control as well then the rows need
to be apart far enough for the tractor which can be a problem.
In my case I use both.Tractor mounted for initial prep and a Troy-Bilt
for the weed control.

If you only want one unit I would only recommend one unit. A Troy-Bilt
Horse. I have two Horse models, one is a '70 and the other is an '82.
Both of mine have cast iron Kohlers on them. They are not cheap BUT they
are real investments. They LAST a long time. Other than one drive gear
and a rebuild on the engine that is all they have had done.

--
Steve W.