Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Bathroom tiling over emulsion.

On 02/04/2011 18:45, H. Neary wrote:
I want to tile the bathroom. It was originally painted with a vynal
emulsion of some kind. I notice that it seems a little fragile in some
places and comes of without too much sanding. What is the best
approach, strip it all?

It is laid directly on the plaster and if as I fear it will have to be
completely removed what is the best option?

Regards

HN

I found, by accident, that brushed-on meths softens emulsion to allow it
to be scraped. I've used it to remove old paint for tiling. Not recently
so maybe there are chemical changes in emulsion, but perhaps worth an
experiment.