Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Why does the 115V-24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?

On 4/2/2011 9:07 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In articleTt6dnVBo95UBNwrQnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
"Ralph wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

but it *could* mean that the transformer has a thermal fuse. If so, it's
an easy and dirt cheap fix.

Smitty... All the transformers like that type that I have opened have the
thermo fuse underneath the taping over the windings. I carefully get to it
and add a 1 amp fuse in place of it. WW

Why a 1 amp fuse ? If on the 120 volt size, it would be over twice the
needed value and if on the secondary side, it would be too small. Also it
would not be a thermal overload,but a current overload fuse.

Yeah, I'd say either bypass it or replace it with a new thermal fuse.
Putting a current fuse in there seems odd.

I just popped the covers on both transformers. There is no evidence of a fuse
in either one.

I made a mistake in my original description. I just metered the old
transformer and it's the input side that's bad, not the 24V output side as I
originally claimed. So the 115V input side is open on both the original and
replacement transformers, and the 24V sides are fine. I think that rules out
any load issues on the output side.

I must say, you guys have been very helpful! I've been a Usenet guy since the
mid nineties, but this is the first time I've had the occasion to drop in on
a.h.r and seek advice, and I'm glad I did. Thanks for all the advice.