Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Why does the 115V-24V transformer keep blowing on my Trane XB80?

On 4/2/2011 4:29 PM, wrote:
If you need it fast, call some heating supply companies. Austin being
a large city should have several heating supply stores.

I would have, but having discovered this on a Saturday afternoon everything was
closed.

If you can wait to mailorder it, go to Graingers.
http://www.grainger.com
They have all of that electrical stuff, motors, etc.

Yep, that solution has crossed my mind. There's a Grainger's about 15 miles
away from my house.

If I'm not mistaken, both doorbell and thermostat transformers operate
at 24v. Go to a large hardware store like Ace, and see if they have
anything. If physical mounting is not a big issue, any transformer
with 115vac input and 24vac output should work as long as the current
is the same or higher. You need 35va, I'd find one with the highest
(VA) rating as possible. Just make sure the in/out are the same
voltage.
By the way, 35va is pretty flimsy, and made in China means it's as
minimal as possible on the specs.

One other thing, have you contacted the Trane Company?
http://www.trane.com
Maybe they can use next day shipping (of course that is pricey).

You're having a HARD FREEZE in Texas right now? Geezzzz, I'd think it
would be 80 deg or higher now.....

No, the hard freeze was a few months back when the first transformer failed.
This time it's the air conditioner I want to run but cannot...

Thanks for the advice.