Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default "Chicago grid" drywall ceiling questions

I have been researching information about what some people call a "Chicago
grid" drywall ceiling system. Apparently, they call it a Chicago grid
because the metal framing for the ceiling to which the drywall is attached
is made by Chicago Metallic Co. Other manufacturers such as Armstrong also
make similar metal "drywall ceiling grid" systems.

For a number of reasons, I want to use this system for the ceiling in a
basement apartment that I am having completely redone in a 3-unit apartment
building that I own.

Since I have never done this type of ceiling before, I plan on hiring a
contractor who knows how to do Chicago grid ceilings to do the rough-in of
this ceiling. But, at the same time, I want to be able to watch and see how
it is done and also have my own regular contractor watch or help with the
installation so he too can see how these are done. I found a couple of
local building supply places that sell the Chicago grid metal framing and I
will be asking them for names of local contractors who buy the metal framing
from them and who regularly do Chicago grid ceilings. Ideally, I would like
to find an experienced contractor who will charge me by the day for the
labor part of the job, and I will pay for the materials.

The apartment that needs the new ceiling has a living room, bedroom,
kitchen, bath, and two closets -- all of which will be getting a Chicago
grid drywall ceiling. I really only need the contractor for the metal
framing part, and maybe to hang some or all of the drywall. My regular
contractor knows how to hang drywall and can do all of the finish work --
taping, painting, etc.

My question is, does anyone have a rough idea of about how long it would
take a contractor and a helper to do the metal framing on a 4 room apartment
such as the one I am having redone? The total square feet of the 4 rooms is
a little less than 500 square feet. I am thinking that a contractor could
probably do all of the metal framing in less than a day, and maybe do the
rough hanging of some of the sheetrock in the same day.

Does anyone know if that is about right?

For those who are unfamiliar with this ceiling system (as I was), it is
basically similar to a regular drop ceiling system except the metal framing
is stronger and the drywall gets screwed into the metal framing from
underneath and the seams later taped and finished, rather than dropping
panels in on top of the metal framing.

And, here are some links and YouTube videos about the system:

http://www.chicagometallic.com/produ...Drywall-PG.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3m9GO3pns

http://products.construction.com/man...rid-nst32093-p

http://www.armstrong.com/commceiling...icle63637.html