Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I need another door recommendation-basement steps

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 23:27:13 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote
I cannot give you any reference, but I just suspect something that
looks like a door but acts like a blanket might not be considered
safe. I should have said I DOUBT they meet code. I sure wouldn't want
to have them - better by far no door at all so everyone KNOWS it is a
hole.

Thanks for the clarification on your OPINION, rather than facts. As for
acting like a blanket, you can buy them made from vinyl, wood, aluminum, and
in varying thickness. Some are fire rated. Have you looked at any
recently?

I've looked at a few. The plastic plank ones looked almost acceptable
to me, but I'd be looking real close at the construction of the
"hinges". Have not seen any yet that I'd trust at the head end of a
stairway. Have not seen aluminum ones available for residential use
that would be anything close to cost effective and strong enough.The
fabric style would not meet my approval for sure. I know there are
some that are used as room deviders in large meeting rooms and
gymnasiums but they are hellish expensive and some tend to be quite
troublesome. The ones installed at a church I used to attend were far
from cheap, but certainly not trouble free, and no-one involved with
them would ever recommend or use them again.