Posted to uk.d-i-y
H. Neary H. Neary is offline

Default Bathroom tiling over emulsion.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 22:51:29 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Tabby wrote:

On Apr 2, 7:43 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
I want to tile the bathroom. It was originally painted with a vynal
emulsion of some kind. I notice that it seems a little fragile in some
places and comes of without too much sanding. What is the best
approach, strip it all?

It is laid directly on the plaster and if as I fear it will have to be
completely removed what is the best option?

Regards

HN

rip off anything lose where you want to tile and tile.

I wouldnt even think about tiling onto anything thats at risk of
coming off. Tiling lasts decades, the substrate has to last decades
too.

NT

I'd have the loose stuff off and dowse the rest with SBR (or an equivalent
tile primer) - that generally is pretty good at stabilising the surface and
the penetration is better than PVA - and it's waterproof. BAL recommend that
approach for new plaster - so it is compatible with tiling.

Thank you. My only problem is identifying what is "loose". Nothing is
obviously lifting. I was planning on using PVA to seal the plaster
incidentally but will certainly look into this SBR.

So far I have tried a combination of sanding and scraping using an
Aldi palm sander. This removes the paint extreemely slowly. I have
tried a chemical paint remover and oddly enough in small quantities it
actually improves the paint / plaster bond to a remarkable degree. [I
am loath to paint the entire wall with with it though as it probably
has drawbacks as a bonding agent]. Used in standard bubble and scrape
quantities, it is fine, but far too expensive for an entire room.

I didn't think chemical strippers worked on water based paints, and
was a little dubious when I read the label [Some blue gel type stuff].
It works though but in exactly the same way as Nitromoors. i.e very
effective, but dashed expensive if you want to keep the physical
labour to a minimum.

I think I'll go for a bigger sander. Screwfix advertise an Erbaur or
similar that takes 1/3 sheets, and the correct sanding sheets are
available, unlike the Aldi device which seems to require some kind of
sheet that is not generally available within this solar system.

I suppose this SBR doesn't penetrate through to the plaster/ paint
interface? I have assumed anything laid on top of the paint [ Which
if it is still on the wall is of an uncertain bond strength] would not
penetrate and reinforce the overall bond. Obviously my blue gel paint
remover must penetrate to the bond and indeed reinforce it, so would
you think that this SBR might do the same?

Regards

HN