Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom tiling over emulsion.

Tabby wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:43 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
I want to tile the bathroom. It was originally painted with a vynal
emulsion of some kind. I notice that it seems a little fragile in some
places and comes of without too much sanding. What is the best
approach, strip it all?
It is laid directly on the plaster and if as I fear it will have to be
completely removed what is the best option?
Regards
HN

rip off anything lose where you want to tile and tile.

I wouldnt even think about tiling onto anything thats at risk of
coming off. Tiling lasts decades, the substrate has to last decades
too.

If you can hold a tile with a couple of dots,. then overall adhesion is
not that important

either the paint peels of. so peel it. Or it doesnt. So dont!

NT