Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Bathroom tiling over emulsion.

Tabby wrote:

On Apr 2, 7:43 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
I want to tile the bathroom. It was originally painted with a vynal
emulsion of some kind. I notice that it seems a little fragile in some
places and comes of without too much sanding. What is the best
approach, strip it all?

It is laid directly on the plaster and if as I fear it will have to be
completely removed what is the best option?

Regards

HN

rip off anything lose where you want to tile and tile.

I wouldnt even think about tiling onto anything thats at risk of
coming off. Tiling lasts decades, the substrate has to last decades
too.

NT

I'd have the loose stuff off and dowse the rest with SBR (or an equivalent
tile primer) - that generally is pretty good at stabilising the surface and
the penetration is better than PVA - and it's waterproof. BAL recommend that
approach for new plaster - so it is compatible with tiling.

--
Tim Watts