Posted to uk.d-i-y
H. Neary H. Neary is offline

Default Bathroom tiling over emulsion.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:43:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

H. Neary wrote:
I want to tile the bathroom. It was originally painted with a vynal
emulsion of some kind. I notice that it seems a little fragile in some
places and comes of without too much sanding. What is the best
approach, strip it all?

It is laid directly on the plaster and if as I fear it will have to be
completely removed what is the best option?

Regards

HN

rip off anything lose where you want to tile and tile.

Thanks for the reply.

None of the paint shows ay visible sign of lifting, it was only when I
sanded away some grout on a sink splashback that I realised there may
be a problem.

Using a scraper there are areas where I can easily leave a few square
centimeters clean of paint. Other parts of the walls can be difficult
to clear. I do not know how much force is needed to remove the paint
until it is actually off. There is always the thought that the
combination of sanding and scraping that I am using to "test" the
adhesion would maybe loosen the bond on a good paint job?

I did try sticking masking tape to the wall and peeling it away, over
half a meter a couple of 2cm^2 patches came away. Masking tape is
approximately 5cm width.

I was thinking of a bigger sander. I did give a chemical stripper a
try but unless used in extreemely liberal amounts it seemed to
increase the bonding to the plaster as the paint was no longer as
brittle.

As you are probably aware my practical experience of this type of work
is virtually zero, so I would welcome any suggestion that would help
me avoid spending a week or so trying to remove the paint using my
current technique.

Regards

HN