Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Speaker Crossover Wiring : Solve the Puzzle

"Chris F." wrote in message
I should note that L1 and L2 both measure about 1 ohm.

"Chris F." wrote in message
Someone brought me an old Wharfedale model W-90 monitor speaker, a
massive old beast with two highs, two midranges, and two 15" woofers. The
problem was that the crossover circuits are damaged; two 50 ohm
potentiometers were burned up, and someone had attempted to bypass them,
getting the wiring mixed up in the process. I've drawn up a diagram of
the components, numbering each component lead rather than show how they
were hooked up. You can view the diagram he

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...aleSpeaker.jpg

I'm hoping that someone can figure out the arrangement, and rather than
have to draw up a schematic for me, you can just point out which numbers
to connect.
Some notes:
-the connections between the high and midrange speakers appear to be
original, though I cannot be certain
-the woofers are presently connected in series (each measures 4 ohms)
-values of the other components are as follows:
C1 - 25 uF 50VDC
C2 - 12 uF 25VAC (much larger than C1)
L1, L2 - values unknown, but both look identical
VR1, VR2 - 50 ohms, 5 watts wirewound

I played around for a while and was able to achieve a decent sound with
the following configuration: 1-3-8-13, 2-18-24, 22-23, 4-5, 7-17, 9-10,
11-19, 14-21. This doesn't seem right though, since only two leads of
each pot are used, and L2 isn't used at all....

The 'L' elements of crossovers are often in parallel with the speakers
rather than series, and may be combined with a 'C'. There are, however, many
different configurations of crossovers, so it's virtually impossible to
guide you with any certainty. As to the pots, they could have been for
level, or phase adjustment. My money would be on level, in which case only
two legs being in use - i.e. with the pots connected as variable resistors,
one in series with the two tweeters in parallel, and one with the two mids
in parallel - would be the expected configuration.

If you put "passive three way crossover designs" into Google, you will get
an information overload on them, that you might be able to pick the bones
out of to decide on what your design originally was or needs to be.

Arfa