Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default OT-Taxing the rich

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:53:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 1, 3:21*pm, Hawke wrote:

Follow my recommendations and I guarantee we'd be on the road to ending
the deficit spending in nothing flat. Is anyone in the government going
to do what I advise? Of course not.

Hawke

I do not agree with you. Not that your recommendations are bad, but
if the government did do what you advise, they would immediately say "
What wonderful folk are we. Now we can increase government
spending." And they would still be spending more than the revenue.

Dan

=====================
While unfortunate, this seems to be what government does.

The only answer appears to be iron clad spending and
personnel caps at all levels of government, possibly with
minimums of funding and manpower specified for critical
functions, backed by harsh criminal and civil penalties for
evasion. The cry is immediately raised by the government
functionaries "but this will tie our hands," but this is
exactly the intent and point of such caps.

Sadly, by the time the need for such caps becomes evident,
there are generally sufficient lobbying groups, PACs, and
interest groups in existence to block the passage, or at
least the rigorous enforcement of such restrictions. For
example, the constitutions of 49 of the 50 states explicitly
prohibit budget deficits, yet the majority of states have
evaded this restriction.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).