Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default I need another door recommendation-basement steps

On 4/1/2011 4:24 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 21:20:59 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Mar 31, 11:08Â pm, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:29:22 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

wrote:

"Limp wrote

If any of you have solved this annoying problem I'd love to hear how
you did it.

An accordian type folding door. Â Takes up an inch or two of the opening,
but
blocks
nothing.
http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...oors-Accordion...

Ed, I'm surprised you would suggest and accordian door. Â First it is a
house, not a trailer and second it is at the top of stairs.

I suggested what works, not what looks elegant. Â I've seen them installed
in a couple of houses in Philly that had a tight layout. Â You question is
answered, you choice what to do with it.

They sorta "work" but they do NOT meet code at the top of a stairway.
Dangerous at the top - OK at the bottom.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen an accordion door at the top of a
stairway, but I don't know of any code prohibition. There are
prohibitions about doors swinging over a landing and such, but an
accordion doesn't infringe on a landing.

R311.5.4 Landings for stairways.
There shall be a floor or landing at the top and bottom of each
stairway. Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top of
an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed garage,
provided a door does not swing over the stairs.

That's the only code reference I'm aware of for an interior stair and
a door. What's the code reference prohibiting an accordion door at
the top of a stairway?

I cannot give you any reference, but I just suspect something that
looks like a door but acts like a blanket might not be considered
safe. I should have said I DOUBT they meet code. I sure wouldn't want
to have them - better by far no door at all so everyone KNOWS it is a
hole.

Assuming the stairway is pretty enough for company (or can easily be
made so), I think the suggestion to enclose the bottom and put the fire
door down there, and turn the top into a jambed archway, is probably the
best one.

--
aem sends...