Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default I need another door recommendation-basement steps

On Mar 31, 9:24*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 30, 10:59*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Limp Arbor" wrote

My basement steps lead up into the kitchen where the door swings out
into the kitchen.
Maybe a bi-fold door?

If any of you have solved this annoying problem I'd love to hear how
you did it.

An accordian type folding door. *Takes up an inch or two of the opening, but
blocks nothing.http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...oors-Accordion...

Ed, I'm surprised you would suggest and accordian door. *First it is a
house, not a trailer and second it is at the top of stairs.

Accordion doors have taken a beating, and for the most part deservedly
so, but that reputation is due to the fact that the only residential
accordion doors people have ever seen are the cheapest pieces of crap
imaginable. There are far better quality accordion doors available.
Security, acoustic, quality veneers, etc.
http://www.accordiondoors.com/woodfo...diondoors.html

The sticky wicket in the mix is that having high quality with a lot of
moving parts makes it difficult to get it even close to the price of a
standard door option. There's nothing ruling out an accordion door in
your application, other than possibly price and your sense of
aesthetics. Your house, your money, your call - but it might be
worthwhile to update your accordion door knowledge and get some
pricing.