Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Bathroom sink replaced

Sigh! In a day full of s**t. one ray of sunshine: AN HONEST
PLUMBER. (OK, down boys; I know there are many of you out there!) I
first contacted plumber that had done some work for me in the past,
but his hourly was ridiculous, and that isn't just my opinion.

Then I got a recommendation from the store where I bought the basin,
faucets, fittings. "Sid" is an older guy with know-how out to
here. He went to a lot of trouble to solve my problem -- get sink
that fits the cut-out in my antique sewing machine cabinet. Mfgrs
apparently changed basin measurements since long-ago sink install.

"Sid" sent his son "Jim" who had been in the biz for ages, and he also
took a lot of trouble and did a great job. Warned me of every
possible pitfall ahead, just to avoid surprises and give me choices.
He went back to the store with old sink; they sold him one that
didn't fit the cut-out; he went back and got the almost-right thing.
Had to gouge out of the greenwall a space behind to fit the sink.

Looks gorgeous; I always wanted dual white handles.

"Jim" said it would be less if I paid in cash, so I said drive me up
to the ATM; he said "nah, just drop it off when you get a
chance". !!! Modest bill; a fraction of what first plumber would
have charged, and I doubt if he would have been so caring & creative,
based on his first visit to check it out. OK, so now I know who to
use next time!

Reason I am posting this: "Jim" said he father was trained in the UK,
where they have to take a lengthy course of study to get licensed.
Said U.S. plumbers may know how to do stuff, but don't know what's
behind it. Hope this is clear...?

Interested in reactions.

HB