Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Sommer Synoris 550 garage door opener -- a report

Our Wayne-Dalton iDrive quit -- although the motor was supposed to have
a lifetime warranty, they are no longer made and no parts available.

I read the reviews of the German-made* Sommer Synoris 550 opener and
decided to buy one. Lowe's and HD both sell them for the same price
($228), but only on line: not in the stores. Adding the wireless keypad
gets the total price into the free-shipping category. (Amazon also sells
them, but there is no free shipping option.)

The design is very simple: a 24V DC motor with a sprocket travels along
a fixed chain inside a metal C-channel. A metal arm connects the door to
a carriage containing that motor. It is very quiet but significantly
slower than the iDrive (which was claimed to be much faster than other
drives).

Cons: a) the wall station is not wireless as the iDrive's was, so there
is additional wiring to run; b) the iDrive had a delayed-closing
feature, so that I could press the button and walk out through the
still-open door, which would then close behind me; c) no staples were
included, so I had to make a special trip to the store to buy some to
staple the wiring in place.

*It really does seem to have been made in Germany, not in China with a
German company's name on it. Those poor German workers! Fancy being paid
even less than Chinese workers so that they can keep their jobs!

Perce