Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.[_2_] Chris F.[_2_] is offline

Default Speaker Crossover Wiring : Solve the Puzzle

Someone brought me an old Wharfedale model W-90 monitor speaker, a massive
old beast with two highs, two midranges, and two 15" woofers. The problem
was that the crossover circuits are damaged; two 50 ohm potentiometers were
burned up, and someone had attempted to bypass them, getting the wiring
mixed up in the process. I've drawn up a diagram of the components,
numbering each component lead rather than show how they were hooked up. You
can view the diagram he

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...aleSpeaker.jpg

I'm hoping that someone can figure out the arrangement, and rather than have
to draw up a schematic for me, you can just point out which numbers to
connect.
Some notes:
-the connections between the high and midrange speakers appear to be
original, though I cannot be certain
-the woofers are presently connected in series (each measures 4 ohms)
-values of the other components are as follows:
C1 - 25 uF 50VDC
C2 - 12 uF 25VAC (much larger than C1)
L1, L2 - values unknown, but both look identical
VR1, VR2 - 50 ohms, 5 watts wirewound

I played around for a while and was able to achieve a decent sound with the
following configuration: 1-3-8-13, 2-18-24, 22-23, 4-5, 7-17, 9-10, 11-19,
14-21. This doesn't seem right though, since only two leads of each pot are
used, and L2 isn't used at all....