Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Auction/surplus scene in San Jose, CA?

On 2011-03-31, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:34:01 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

[ ... ]

1950 Lucas starter....isn't that what we used to call a hand crank? d8-)

That was the often used back up system on the '50 Austin A40, between
that and a gentle push by the riders.

My MGAs (1957 and 1962 IIRC) both had a hand crank and a hole
for it in the front of the front bumper. I actually used that a few
time, especially in really cold weather when the batteries just could
not crank it enough. Stick a 2x4 holding the gas pedal down, go up
front and crank it to start, then run back to kick out the 2x4 before
the engine over-reved. :-) This was back in the mid to late 1960s, FWIW.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My '67 MG Midget had a socket for it in the crank pulley, but no way to get
to it through the radiator or the grill. g

So, if you were going to use it, I guess you were supposed to punch a hole
in the radiator first...

Once the Brits make something that works, they don't like to change it, even
when it becomes irrelevant.

--
Ed Huntress