Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coupling shafts....

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

So ahm hard at work on m'bicycle generator, and I need to couiple
the shaft (on bearings) driven by the bike wheel, to the shaft on
the generator/motor.
Some might say, Well, why not just drive the generator directly by
the wheel, and the reason is the bearing-unfriendly nature of
cantilivered stresses.

So the driven shaft is well-supported for the load (a bearing on
either end of the shaft), and the generator shaft is thusly fairly
stress-free.
The Q is, how to attach them.

I see in MSC a bunch of types of love-joy-esque couplings, with the
typical "finger-laced" coupling I am familiar with being called
their "three piece jaw coupling", which is two hubs with a floating
"spider" that kind of links the two hubs. It's also among the
cheapest coupling methods.

Are there better methods? I see a "flexible grid coupling", which
basically looks like a piece of hose.

Where do universal joints fit into this scheme?

I'll be able to align the generator shaft with the drive shaft
pretty accurately (eye-accurate), with nuts/threaded rod standoffs.
But not accurate enough for solid-style couplings.

Opinions on the best way to go -- and with the least drama?
--
EA

Are you going to get enough RPM with direct drive?