Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default I need another door recommendation-basement steps

On Mar 31, 9:31*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Mar 31, 4:03*am, Evan wrote:

On Mar 30, 1:54*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:

On Mar 30, 11:03*am, RicodJour wrote:

On Mar 30, 10:55*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

My basement steps lead up into the kitchen where the door swings out
into the kitchen. *The way the rooms and steps are laid out I can't
put a pocket door at the top of the steps. *Conveniently when this
basement door is open it blocks another doorway. *Makes bringing the
truckload of stuff SWMBO buys at BJs down to the basement a real PITA.

Beside the unsafe idea of turning the door around to swing out over
the steps anything else I could do?

Maybe a bi-fold door?

If any of you have solved this annoying problem I'd love to hear how
you did it.

A picture of the situation would be helpful.

Use fixed font to see layout

| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
| * * * * * * * * Kitchen * * * * * * * * *|
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
Doorway1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
_____________ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
* Basement * | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
* *Steps * * | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
_____________| Doorway2 ___________________|

The door at the top of the basement steps is hinged on the side
adjacent to Doorway2 and swings out into the kitchen blocking Doorway2
when open. *I guess I could hinge it on the other side but that
probably wouldn't be much better.

A bi-fold might help but as was already posted it would have to fold
towards the kitchen so someone couldn't lean or trip into the folding
door and go down the steps.

I'll have to do some measuring but I could maybe move the steps away
from the door with a landing but I doubt the landing would be big
enough for the door to swing in. *The door is 30" and the landing
could maybe be 36".

So you need to access ALL THREE openings at the same time ?

Doorway 1 which accesses something else in the house from the
kitchen ? *And Doorway 2 which leads to somewhere outside
(garage or direct to outside) ? *While also being able to get into
the basement ?

Doorway1 and Doorway 2 are both just pass throughs, no doors.

Umm... *Hinge the basement door on the opposite side from
where it is now and and rebuild Doorway 2 so that the door
swings into the other space away from the basement stair
area... *Remodeling the basement staircase is going to cost
way too much to be feasible when all you would need to
deal with the situation is potentially a new door & frame for
one of the doors and a little bit of patching on the frame for
the basement stairway door frame...

I wouldn't want a bi-fold door anywhere near stairs...

Or you could just use a more enlightened procedure for
unloading and storing the cargoes obtained at BJ's,
bringing everything into the kitchen before moving it
downstairs to its storage position... *Then you wouldn't
have to do anything to any of the doors and you would
only need to use one at a time...

That is what we do.

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like my only option is to reverse the swing of the basement
door. *I was hoping for something really clever like the doors on a
Delorean that would swing up into the stairwell.

LOL...

DeLorean doors inside a house ?

On kitchen cabinets maybe...

If this situation is so unbearable have you thought about a solid wood
door cut down the middle and hinged on both sides of the opening...

Sort of like the 8' wide double doors only much less wide -- one side
would be the passive leaf with flush bolts either in the edge of the
door
or on the "inside" face of the door surface mounted... The active
leaf
would be drilled and crossbored for the lockset as normal...

~~ Evan