Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Backwards electrolytics (again)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 21:00:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Good grief man, take some digital pix before you take it apart - at
least until you get over your brain fades.

Welcome to Learn By Destroying(tm).

I take photos of every customers machine I work on. I blow off the
dust outside (so that it doesn't trash the office), take a few photos,
and then proceed to work on the machine. This has ended a few debates
over missing accessories, mechanical damage, etc. Sometimes, I use
one of the particularly disgusting photos as wallpaper on the repaired
machine. I also take some more photos when I'm done.

However, these were my machines, not customers, so I didn't bother
with the photos. Most were rescued from the recyclers and all of them
had bulging caps. Since these were mine, not customers, all my
customary precautions were ignored. Out of about 7 machines, I
managed to reverse the caps on 4 of them. All had the silk screened
stripe marking the "+" end instead of the usual "-" end. I didn't see
the "+" silk screened marking or bother checking the square pad, until
Phil Allison pointed it out in the first photo. The brain isn't
fading, but the eyesight is certainly going down the drain.
Assumption, the mother of all screwups, is also fully functional.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558