Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Auction/surplus scene in San Jose, CA?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:34:01 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:27:40 -0400, John
wrote:

When I was five i managed to get a automobile starter to play with. I
happened to go with my father to a dump and the starter was lying on
the pile of scrap. It was telling me " TAKE ME HOME" so I wound up
with it. I managed to disassemble it but I couldn't get the field
magnets out since I didn't have the right tools to remove the flathead
screw that held them in.

John

Had that problem with an old (1950) Lucas starter, took it to a
welding shop where short pieces of 3/8 rod were welded across the tops
of the screws then just tap them loose with a hammer. After the field
coils were replaced, just tighten with a hammer. the modification was
still in place when I got rid of the car.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

1950 Lucas starter....isn't that what we used to call a hand crank? d8-)

That was the often used back up system on the '50 Austin A40, between
that and a gentle push by the riders.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada