Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:22:28 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 3/29/2011 8:39 PM, bob wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:03:51 -0400, wrote:

bob wrote:
Years ago I bought a bottle of sulfuric acid from a hardware store with
the intend to open a clogged pipe. I ended up opening the clog with
another method. The bottle sits unused.

Many toilet bowl cleaners use hydrochloric acid as a main ingredient,
since sulfuric acid is similar stuff, can I use it as a toilet bowl
cleaner?

Why not. I use bleach, sometimes Scrub Free. An acid or base will clean
well.

although you havent suggested it, mixing sodium hypochlorate (bleach)
and H2SO4 can release chlorine gas

AND sulfuric poured into a drain
can react EXPLOSIVELY with any METAL PIPES, organic materials (such as
hair, etc) and lead to some REAL unpleasant results.

But sulfuric acid is (was?) a common drain cleaner.

yes, but the concentration is diluted and controlled. straight H2SO4
is very destructive

One of its features
is attacking organic blocks. Would think drain cleaner would have to be
strong. It was certainly one of the more hazardous household chemicals.
The OP didn't say, but the sulfuric acid he bought was probably a drain
cleaner.

some drain cleaners are alkali..sodium hydroxide...and they create
glycerin, which is water soluble. sulfuric can attack all kinds of
things in addition to organics...metals are a favorite

i'm a chemist and have used sulfuric for 30 years in various
applications. this is NOT one of them!

My guess is that toilet bowl tends to get mineral accumulation.
Hydrochloric acid breaks them down. Does sulfuric

yes, vinegar would be better. it's much weaker but more easily
controlled.