Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I need another door recommendation-basement steps

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:55:35 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

My basement steps lead up into the kitchen where the door swings out
into the kitchen. The way the rooms and steps are laid out I can't
put a pocket door at the top of the steps. Conveniently when this
basement door is open it blocks another doorway. Makes bringing the
truckload of stuff SWMBO buys at BJs down to the basement a real PITA.

Beside the unsafe idea of turning the door around to swing out over
the steps anything else I could do?

Maybe a bi-fold door?

If any of you have solved this annoying problem I'd love to hear how
you did it.

A bifold closet door will work but won't likely meet code, as leaning
against what looks like a solid door could dump you down the stairs.
You could always do what I did, the basement door and the garage
access door interfered, the basement is finished, so I just removed
the basement door completely.

If that's not an option (unheated/unfinished basement), close in the
stairway and put the door at the bottom.