Posted to alt.home.repair

Default putting tile in the bathroom, part II

On Mar 28, 11:56*am, bob wrote:
carpet installers are here and ripping up old stuff. flooring is
particle board thick enough to be very rigid

can i put durorock membrane on this for tile?

http://www.durocktilemembrane.com/pr...embrane-9.aspx

For my 2c to the original ? I would put 1/2" concrete or fiber backer
on top of your osb subfloor. Use motar and screws every 6 to 8
inches. Lowes has the screws right next to the backer in the tile
department. Do not use the 1/4" backer, use the 1/2". You don't need
"fancy" motar either. The ordinary gray stuff that is under $10 a bag
will do just fine for putting down the backer board. Try to use the
backer board with as few cuts as possible. Do not piece together bits
of backer board to save $10. As you plan the backer board avoid
having the seam between two pieces of backer board coincide with any
seams on the subfloor osb. Also try to not have a tile seam over a
backer board seam. This takes a little extra planning. If you have
left over screws then put them in as well. Stay off it for at least a
day after you put the backer board down. Tile is all about the prep
work. Actually putting the tile it's self down is no big deal. This
has worked well for me many times.

Water will eventually damage any flooring if it has enough time. Osb
will swell. Plywood will swell. Joists will swell. I'm betting your
house is not made of metal. If any of this happens the tile will
crack, come up, and grout break out. Do not caulk around toilets as
this is a common spot to leak and caiulk will simply trap the water
under the toilet where you can't see it. Tubs and shower bases
present a problem. If you don't caulk then spilt water can get under
them. If you do caulk then you are less likely to see a leak that
develops under either of these. It's a no win. Pay attention to your
house. If the bath is on a second floor then be aware of the ceiling
below it. If the bath is on a ground floor then it's not bad idea to
take the occasional look around when some curcumstance causes you to
be in the crawl space.