Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:04:16 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

mm wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:01:13 -0700, "bob" wrote:

Years ago I bought a bottle of sulfuric acid from a hardware store
with the intend to open a clogged pipe. I ended up opening the clog
with another method. The bottle sits unused.

Many toilet bowl cleaners use hydrochloric acid as a main
ingredient, since

Some brands call it hydrochloric acid and some hydrogen chloride.
Isn't that strange!

Hydrogen chloride is gas; add water and it becomes hydrochloric acid.

Nonetheless, the Works disinfectant toilet bowl cleaner lists the
active ingeredient as Hydrogen Chloride, its only mention.

And Lysol disinfectant power toilet bowl cleaner says that and also
says "Contains Hydrochloric Acid".
________

sulfuric acid is similar stuff, can I use it as a toilet bowl
cleaner?

I don't know about this, but phosphoric acid is similar too, and they
put that in Coke and we drink it. That doesn't mean we should drink
the other acids.

Phosphoric acid has about the same relationship to sulphuric acid as Tums do
to lye. Whether or not you can drink any depends on the degree of dilution.