Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl[_2_] axolotl[_2_] is offline

Default Auction/surplus scene in San Jose, CA?

On 3/30/2011 2:41 PM, Ignoramus23509 wrote:

Sounds like some real fun.

I love that sort of stuff, personally.

Let me tell you about my wife's Uncle Chick (uncle by courtesy, really a
friend of her grandfather). Sort of retired. Had a couple of hundred
acres in upstate New York surrounding a small lake/pond, adjacent to
110,000 acres of state forest. Big metal barn/shop with a sawmill down
one side of it, set up as a large bay to hold the trucks, crawler, and
other toys, with a loading dock (inside) for the machine shop in the
back of the building. Chick would read "The Pennysaver" and drive all
over that part of the state for machinery to restore. All kinds of
things. One I remember was a one yard concrete mixer driven by a hit or
miss engine. He sold it to a guy in the precast concrete business.
He would walk out to the shop in the morning and not come back in the
house until 4:00, just like he was still working in a factory.
Everyone visited Chick and his wife; he had a little resort with shop.
Things to do for everyone. When he passed away, his widow sold the place
to a fellow who restored antique aircraft.

Kevin Gallimore