Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Auction/surplus scene in San Jose, CA?

On Mar 30, 2:14*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
On 03/30/2011 12:53 PM, Ignoramus23509 wrote:

Jon, what I mean is surplus that is resellable on ebay.

Something that you buy for $50 and sell for $250, that sort of thing.

Well, the remaining few of those will be the competition, both buying
and selling. *I know Weird Stuff is still in business, and I think HSC
is, too. *Alltronics has apparently opened up an online presence, too.
Mike Quinn was still out by the Oakland airport last time I was there.
These guys KNOW the business and have the warehouse space to work with
it. *I think somebody working out of an apartment will have a HELL of a
time trying to do that business. *What's he gonna do if he wins a bid
for a container load of old junk? *Even if some of it is proverbial
gold, there will be a lot of junk that has to be sorted and dealt with.

Jon

Living in an apartment is an advantage..they have no house to tie them
to the area.

Trying to do surplus out of an apartment with a wife present is a
guaranteed divorce in the making.

TMT