Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default motherboard RAM failures

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:43:47 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The model number of the MSI motherboard and the exact spec of the RAM
might have been helpful. Some motherboards are VERY picky about the
type and speed of RAM that they use. On the borderline devices, a
given SDRAM stick will barely work in one slot, and fail in others.
You might be dealing with such borderline situations. Numbers please.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this. I'm not
experienced with component specs, so this may not even be enough to go
on, but the only info on the boxes is:

motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E
RAM: Corsair "Dominator" DDR3. Using 3x 2GB sticks.

Are you overclocking the CPU speed?
What is the speed rating of the DDR3 RAM? It should be PC3-?????

Corsair "Dominator" RAM series is the favored RAM for overclocking
adventures. They even advertise it.
http://www.corsair.com/memory/dominator.html
As I recall, when I tore apart one of their DDR2 sticks, it's Intel
chips, with a useless aluminum heat sink attached mostly for
aesthetics. The sticks are then selected for speeds somewhat above
the DDR3 specification. Note that similar looking sticks are bin
sorted by speed. You may be using rejects, or a mix of speeds. Little
wonder you're having fallout. If overclocked, don't be surprised if
you get complaints of hangs and spontaneous reboots in the field. If
running a speed mix, you could be seeing combinations that won't work.

I've had limited experience with DDR3 motherboards, and none with the
above combination. I have had some experience with PIII and P4
vintage MSI (MicroStar International) motherboards and find them to be
near the low end in quality. However, this board:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X58-Pro-E.html
uses all polymer electrolytic capacitors, so there a good chance it
will survive the warranty period. However, that's no indication
layout and design quality, neither of which MSI is known for. I can't
tell from the "detailed" specs if overclocking is supported. It
proclaims:
Supports six unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333*/1600*
(OC) DRAM, 24GB Max
I'll assume that the Corsair RAM is running at 1600MT/s, which is well
under their tested speed, so it should work. However, if the
motherboard is set overlocked, it might not.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D