Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Toroidal mains Tx inrush limiter - retrofit

"N_Cook" wrote in message
This 300W amp blows correct T3.15A fuses every now and then at sw on. The
owner left in the last one so I can see it is just "tired" , neat break
and
2 constituent parts of fuse wire remaining.

Any issues concerning putting in an ex pc SMPS 450W, 250V land mains
inrush
thermistor, unknown specs, other than 14mm diameter, 4mm wide , 1mm diam
leads, 8R cold , 1R after 20 seconds touched by soldering iron barrel.
Other
than poor physical integrity of the lead "welds" to the body (like disc
ceramic cap) - will mount on small high temp board and wire into the
neutral
side of the wiring, with plenty of clear air space around.

Other than zero crossing Triac sub-cicuit to delay sw off, not creating
ferrite core residual magnetism, and delayed switching on also, any other
ways around this phenomenon other than bad practise uprating of the mains
fuse? Are polyswitches used in these circumstances , ie not purely "fuse"
action or generic name for devices specific for this purpose?

I've had a few bits of gear for repair that just seem to have an under-rated
fuse. e.g. Mackie SR1530.
Try a T4 instead.

I even had a Marshall here that had (according to Marshall) the wrong value
fuse designed in. It was doing my head in for ages until I phoned Marshall
about it.
They sent me an uprated fuse and stickers to place on the PCB showing the
uprated value.

Gareth.