Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23509 Ignoramus23509 is offline

Default Auction/surplus scene in San Jose, CA?

On 2011-03-30, john wrote:
You would be amazed as to what you can find in a good scrapyard. Last
year I happen to be dropping off some chips to the yard and what did
they have sitting there but a Monarch CNC vertical machining center ( I
think it was a vmc75B ) . As normal they busted one of the servo
motors and did some other damage when off loading it but the rest of the
parts were good. I paid them 500 bucks for any and all smaller parts
off the machine and then proceeded to take all the servo motors (red
cap), Fanuc 15 cnc control, cnc rotary table and a bunch of other
elcetronic and electrical parts.

I hate you!

My heart just fscking BLEEDS when I read this!

This is what I want to do in retirement!

There were actually two machines that
came in, one the next day and they had the complete manuals with them.
it was a shame that they were both damaged because that machine can
really hog some metal and hold tight tolerances. So for a 3200 dollars
I sold the two spindle drive units and got more than my money back, and
I have been selling the rest of the stuff and got a return of more than
8/1 on my investment.

Awesome.

Most all of the stuff I handled was less than 40 lbs. except for the
spindle motor and maybe the rotary tables. Both machines had
Heidehan scales on them but I couldn't easily get the ones on the Y
axis out but did get the sliders . I did get the full units with
the amplifiers on the Z and the other amplifiers.

Sounds like some real fun.

I love that sort of stuff, personally.

When I was a three year old, I took apart a windup circus truck, and
never looked back since then.