Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Auction/surplus scene in San Jose, CA?

On 3/30/2011 9:23 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

San Jose, Mountain View and the Oakland airport used to be a MECCA of
electronic and other surplus! I used to make a PILGRIMAGE there whenever
possible, and it was always an incredible journey. Halted Specialties,
HalTek, Weird Stuff Warehouse, Alltronics, Mike Quinn, Triangle Machinery
and a few others were just incredible places filled with the most
fascinating junk. Many of these outfits are gone, a few remain, I think.
There may be a few new ones that I failed to mention.

Yup, been to all but Mike Quinn. I grew up in the neighborhood next to
Haltek and as a kid, scrounged their trash, along with many of the other
high tech companies in the area. Robb Jack was practically next door to
Haltek, but they never threw out anything interesting or useful.

Jon