Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias[_3_] Mark Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default CRT vertical deflection -- bad solder joints?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Hello? Instead of fussing over it, why not replace all the electrolytics
"in
the vicinity" while the bad-looking solder joints are being re-done?

This is a common problem in servicing. As an EE, I want to know exactly
why
something isn't working correctly. But I learned a long time ago that
it's
more important to simply get the damned thing fixed. If that means
shotgunning likely components, so be it.

Shotgunning is, IMHO, very bad practice, and often leads to the creation
of more problems than it fixes. I am actually quite surprised that you
would advocate doing this, William.

Arfa

I have seen sets (notably Toshiba and Mitsubishi) where shotgunning was
advisable in addition to replacing whichever single cap might have been
causing your issue.

Mark Z.