Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:38:38 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

What he needs is fuming red nitric acid. (-: I splattered some when I was
working in a photochem plant and it burned through my pants (bell bottoms,
fortunately) like a ray gun blast and proceeded to dissolve my workboots. I
reached for the reinforced chemical wipe clothes we had and within a second
the paper had gone up in a puff of smoke leaving only the plastic
reinforcing mesh. It taught me to respect the acids of the world.

I wouldn't recommend sulfuric acid for toilet cleaning, especially if the
concentration was not known. There are far better, less noxious chemicals
like oxalic acid to handle rust stains. Plus, modern toilets seem to have
a tendency to spit when flushed. I saw one study that used fluorescent dye
in the tank showing that water from the flush could reach as high as the
height where people mount toothbrush holders. So, if you're going to use it
anyway, flush with the cover down and wear goggles, gloves and long sleeved
shirts and long pants.

this is ANOTHER danger...the vapors from the acid. concentrated acid
vapors TRAVEL and will mix with ANY water...such as material remaining
on the shower walls, etc...

and if you have pets in the house, they often do drink water from the
shower (ours do).

--
Bobby G.