Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:03:51 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

bob wrote:
Years ago I bought a bottle of sulfuric acid from a hardware store with
the intend to open a clogged pipe. I ended up opening the clog with
another method. The bottle sits unused.

Many toilet bowl cleaners use hydrochloric acid as a main ingredient,
since sulfuric acid is similar stuff, can I use it as a toilet bowl
cleaner?

Why not. I use bleach, sometimes Scrub Free. An acid or base will clean
well.

although you havent suggested it, mixing sodium hypochlorate (bleach)
and H2SO4 can release chlorine gas AND sulfuric poured into a drain
can react EXPLOSIVELY with any METAL PIPES, organic materials (such as
hair, etc) and lead to some REAL unpleasant results.

i'm a chemist and have used sulfuric for 30 years in various
applications. this is NOT one of them!