Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default putting tile in the bathroom, part II

On Mar 28, 10:56*pm, bob wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:33:52 -0400, "Colbyt"

wrote:

"bob" wrote in message
.. .
carpet installers are here and ripping up old stuff. flooring is
particle board thick enough to be very rigid

can i put durorock membrane on this for tile?

http://www.durocktilemembrane.com/pr...embrane-9.aspx

I learned my lesson about particle board in kitchens and baths about 30
years ago.

You can rip it out and do it right or learn what I learned the same hard way
I did.

The choice is completely yours.

the bathroom already has particle board...

To be fair, we don't know if he should have learned setting tile isn't
as easy as it looks on TV.

A bathroom floor is not typically a "wet" environment, but it doesn't
matter what wood you put under tile; if it gets wet it's going to
swell and pffft.

But, it won't get wet if the floor is sound and has the structural
rigidity to maintain the excellent seal of a competent tile job...
that you're probably not going to get anyway.

$400/1.33 sq. ft. seems a tad steep for 300-sq. ft. of "light duty"
membrane (you're going to use how much of?), and I'm not crazy about
it being 3' wide, either, when 6' would provide a seamless application
in most residential baths.

But, a membrane isn't a "pan". If water penetrates the tile, it's
most likely to occur at an edge, of the tub, if there is one. If
there's enough water to flood the floor, it's going to run out the
door.

They're doing marvelous things with new materials, but I think that
stuff is a gimmick.

100% of bathroom floor leaks are due to the shower leaking onto the
floor.*
-----

- gpsman

*Estimate.