Posted to alt.home.repair

Default putting tile in the bathroom, part II

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 03:17:52 -0400, mm wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:15:42 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

When I worked construction a long, long time ago the old pros called it
"chip board"

Isn't chip board the stuff made with chips, some 4" long, and particle
board the stuff made with particles, pieces no more than 3/8" long.
The latter is used for cheap furniture and comes in 4x8 sheets too,
but chip board is a lot stronger. (but that doesn't mean it is good
for for wet places like bathroom floors.)

"Chip Board" is also known as OSB (Oriented Strand Board). Particle board is
an entirely different animal. Neither are worth a damn around water, though.

but it sounded more like "**** board." I know it's used in
bathrooms and other "it's going to get wet sooner or later" places and
*should* present no problems with a waterproof membrane . . . Still, I
would pull it if you are in there anyway. There's nothing cheaper than chip
board because almost everything else is better. (-: I can't count all the
places where I've seen sagged chip board.